While the US has never had particularly good intelligence on the actual numbers of people doing so, FBI Director James Comey today claimed that far fewer Americans are going abroad to join ISIS, saying the FBI only see “about one per month.”
Comey’s claims mirror those of Pentagon officials who say they believe ISIS recruitment internationally is on the decline, and Comey insisted that he has “no doubt” something is diminishing the attractiveness of ISIS to would-be recruits.
Despite the claims that they have almost no one going abroad to join ISIS, Comey still insisted the FBI has “north of 1,000” active cases in which FBI agents are evaluating Americans for “potential” radicalization.
The FBI is regularly announcing “plots” foiled by these investigations, though more often than not they involve the FBI providing a fake bomb to a suspect and then arresting him for possession of the fake bomb.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Pakistan: We Won't Tolerate Drone Strikes on Our Soil - June 22nd, 2017
- Iraq PM: Destruction of Mosul Mosque Proves ISIS Is Defeated - June 22nd, 2017
- Turkey: US Promised to Take Back Kurds' Arms After ISIS Is Defeated - June 22nd, 2017
- White House Lobbying to Water Down Russia Sanctions Bill - June 22nd, 2017
- House Armed Services Committee Advances $640 Billion Military Spending Bill - June 22nd, 2017