While the US has never had particularly good intelligence on the actual numbers of people doing so, FBI Director James Comey today claimed that far fewer Americans are going abroad to join ISIS, saying the FBI only see “about one per month.”
Comey’s claims mirror those of Pentagon officials who say they believe ISIS recruitment internationally is on the decline, and Comey insisted that he has “no doubt” something is diminishing the attractiveness of ISIS to would-be recruits.
Despite the claims that they have almost no one going abroad to join ISIS, Comey still insisted the FBI has “north of 1,000” active cases in which FBI agents are evaluating Americans for “potential” radicalization.
The FBI is regularly announcing “plots” foiled by these investigations, though more often than not they involve the FBI providing a fake bomb to a suspect and then arresting him for possession of the fake bomb.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- East Afghan Farmers Killed in Chaotic Weekend Attack - March 19th, 2018
- Vote on War Powers Act Challenge to Yemen War Looms in Senate - March 19th, 2018
- Locals Report Mass Looting by Occupying Rebels in Syria's Afrin - March 19th, 2018
- Exodus From Eastern Ghouta as Syrian Army Appears to Near Victory - March 18th, 2018
- Pentagon Defends Keeping Niger Attacks Secret - March 18th, 2018