Strike Destroys Home, IDF Claiming They Targeted Hamas 'Facility'
Adding to soaring tensions amid the rising Palestinian death toll, Israeli warplanes attacked and destroyed a house in the Gaza Strip, killing a pregnant woman and her 2-year-old daughter. Four others, including her husband and son, were wounded in the attack.
Israeli officials claimed to be looking into reports of civilian casualties, but insisted that the strike had targeted a Hamas “facility” used to produced weaponry. There was no indication anything other than the house was destroyed in the attack.
The deaths are just the latest in several days of attacks on Gaza, starting with a Friday attack in which Israeli troops killed 6 protesters near the border. They followed this up with attacks that killed two more children on Saturday.
The Gaza deaths come amid growing unrest and violent crackdowns in the West Bank, and despite an official Israeli policy of trying to avoid more civilian casualties, the attacks seem likely to continue in both cases, with Israeli officials facing growing pressure from the far-right to crack down on the “terrorist” protesters.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Tillerson to Skip NATO Meeting, Will Visit Russia in April - March 20th, 2017
- Syrian Envoy: Russia Has Told Israel Freedom to Act in Syrian Airspace Is Over - March 20th, 2017
- Turkey Won't Accept Kurdish 'Region of Terror' in Northern Syria - March 20th, 2017
- Syria Army Recovers Damascus District a Day After Rebel Raid - March 20th, 2017
- US to Impose 'Large Electronics' Ban on Flights From Africa, Middle East - March 20th, 2017