Adding to soaring tensions amid the rising Palestinian death toll, Israeli warplanes attacked and destroyed a house in the Gaza Strip, killing a pregnant woman and her 2-year-old daughter. Four others, including her husband and son, were wounded in the attack.
Israeli officials claimed to be looking into reports of civilian casualties, but insisted that the strike had targeted a Hamas “facility” used to produced weaponry. There was no indication anything other than the house was destroyed in the attack.
The deaths are just the latest in several days of attacks on Gaza, starting with a Friday attack in which Israeli troops killed 6 protesters near the border. They followed this up with attacks that killed two more children on Saturday.
The Gaza deaths come amid growing unrest and violent crackdowns in the West Bank, and despite an official Israeli policy of trying to avoid more civilian casualties, the attacks seem likely to continue in both cases, with Israeli officials facing growing pressure from the far-right to crack down on the “terrorist” protesters.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israeli MPs Push Trump to Let Them Use Military Aid on Non-US Equipment - May 21st, 2018
- Syrian Army Has Full Control of Metro Damascus After ISIS Ouster - May 21st, 2018
- Trump to Press South Korea's Moon on Upcoming Kim Summit - May 21st, 2018
- South Koreans See John Bolton as an Obstacle to Trump-Kim Summit - May 21st, 2018
- As ISIS Shrinks in Iraq and Syria, US Military Focus Shifts to Afghanistan - May 21st, 2018