Adding to soaring tensions amid the rising Palestinian death toll, Israeli warplanes attacked and destroyed a house in the Gaza Strip, killing a pregnant woman and her 2-year-old daughter. Four others, including her husband and son, were wounded in the attack.
Israeli officials claimed to be looking into reports of civilian casualties, but insisted that the strike had targeted a Hamas “facility” used to produced weaponry. There was no indication anything other than the house was destroyed in the attack.
The deaths are just the latest in several days of attacks on Gaza, starting with a Friday attack in which Israeli troops killed 6 protesters near the border. They followed this up with attacks that killed two more children on Saturday.
The Gaza deaths come amid growing unrest and violent crackdowns in the West Bank, and despite an official Israeli policy of trying to avoid more civilian casualties, the attacks seem likely to continue in both cases, with Israeli officials facing growing pressure from the far-right to crack down on the “terrorist” protesters.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- France Remains Committed to Iran Nuclear Deal - February 19th, 2018
- Russian FM Slams Calls to Halt Idlib Offensive - February 19th, 2018
- Turkish Officials Hope to Resolve Manbij Issues With Dialogue With US - February 19th, 2018
- Strikes Kill Scores in Syria's Eastern Ghouta in the Past 24 Hours - February 19th, 2018
- Israel Arming at Least Seven Syrian Rebel Groups - February 19th, 2018