Adding to soaring tensions amid the rising Palestinian death toll, Israeli warplanes attacked and destroyed a house in the Gaza Strip, killing a pregnant woman and her 2-year-old daughter. Four others, including her husband and son, were wounded in the attack.
Israeli officials claimed to be looking into reports of civilian casualties, but insisted that the strike had targeted a Hamas “facility” used to produced weaponry. There was no indication anything other than the house was destroyed in the attack.
The deaths are just the latest in several days of attacks on Gaza, starting with a Friday attack in which Israeli troops killed 6 protesters near the border. They followed this up with attacks that killed two more children on Saturday.
The Gaza deaths come amid growing unrest and violent crackdowns in the West Bank, and despite an official Israeli policy of trying to avoid more civilian casualties, the attacks seem likely to continue in both cases, with Israeli officials facing growing pressure from the far-right to crack down on the “terrorist” protesters.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Britain Cuts Aid to Syrian Rebels, Citing Security Woes - August 20th, 2018
- China Defies US Pressure as EU Parts Ways With Iranian Oil - August 20th, 2018
- North Korea Faces Food Crisis, But US Sanctions Are Blocking Aid - August 20th, 2018
- Russia Says Won't Put Weapons in Space First - August 20th, 2018
- Taliban Kidnap Nearly 200 Bus Passengers, Most Freed - August 20th, 2018