Adding to soaring tensions amid the rising Palestinian death toll, Israeli warplanes attacked and destroyed a house in the Gaza Strip, killing a pregnant woman and her 2-year-old daughter. Four others, including her husband and son, were wounded in the attack.
Israeli officials claimed to be looking into reports of civilian casualties, but insisted that the strike had targeted a Hamas “facility” used to produced weaponry. There was no indication anything other than the house was destroyed in the attack.
The deaths are just the latest in several days of attacks on Gaza, starting with a Friday attack in which Israeli troops killed 6 protesters near the border. They followed this up with attacks that killed two more children on Saturday.
The Gaza deaths come amid growing unrest and violent crackdowns in the West Bank, and despite an official Israeli policy of trying to avoid more civilian casualties, the attacks seem likely to continue in both cases, with Israeli officials facing growing pressure from the far-right to crack down on the “terrorist” protesters.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump Will Leave 400 US Troops in Syria After Pullout - February 22nd, 2019
- Amid Yemen War Outrage, UAE Agrees to Buy Another $5.4 Billion in Arms - February 21st, 2019
- US Troop Cuts Not Intended to Be Discussed at Trump-Kim Summit - February 21st, 2019
- Putin: Russia Is Militarily Ready for Another Cuban-Style Missile Crisis - February 21st, 2019
- US Military's Anti-Drug Campaign in Afghanistan Ends in Failure - February 21st, 2019