The Ukrainian military had claimed to have retaken the Donetsk Airport as recently as this weekend, but were routed from it outright today, with rebels marching 12 captured soldiers through the city.
The situation was described as a “chaotic and bloody retreat,” leaving many to wonder why the Ukrainian military had thrown so many troops at an airport which has been little more than rubble for the past several months.
NATO described the fighting across the rebel east as “fiercer than ever,” saying it was as bad as it was before the September 5 ceasefire, and in some cases even worse.
Even though the Ukrainian military is the one that pressed the offensive against the airport, President Poroshenko claimed it was the rebels who were the real ceasefire violators, promising to “give it to them in the teeth” for it.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Afghan Officials Warn Malistan District on the Verge of Collapse - November 12th, 2018
- Taliban Overrun West Afghanistan District, Killing 37 Police and Civilians - November 12th, 2018
- Taliban Slaughter Elite Afghan Troops, as 'Safe' District Is Falling - November 12th, 2018
- North Korea Warns US-South Korea Drills Violate Agreement - November 12th, 2018
- IAEA Report Shows Iran Continues to Honor Nuclear Deal - November 12th, 2018