The Ukrainian military had claimed to have retaken the Donetsk Airport as recently as this weekend, but were routed from it outright today, with rebels marching 12 captured soldiers through the city.
The situation was described as a “chaotic and bloody retreat,” leaving many to wonder why the Ukrainian military had thrown so many troops at an airport which has been little more than rubble for the past several months.
NATO described the fighting across the rebel east as “fiercer than ever,” saying it was as bad as it was before the September 5 ceasefire, and in some cases even worse.
Even though the Ukrainian military is the one that pressed the offensive against the airport, President Poroshenko claimed it was the rebels who were the real ceasefire violators, promising to “give it to them in the teeth” for it.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Iraq Says 36 ISIS Killed in Thursday's Syria Strike - April 22nd, 2018
- Trump Denies Making Too Many Concessions to North Korea - April 22nd, 2018
- Iran Vows 'Vigorous' Enrichment of Uranium if US Quits Nuclear Deal - April 22nd, 2018
- Syrian Forces Advance into Islamist-Held Area South of Damascus - April 22nd, 2018
- Chemical Inspectors Complete Visit to Syria's Douma - April 22nd, 2018