The Ukrainian military had claimed to have retaken the Donetsk Airport as recently as this weekend, but were routed from it outright today, with rebels marching 12 captured soldiers through the city.
The situation was described as a “chaotic and bloody retreat,” leaving many to wonder why the Ukrainian military had thrown so many troops at an airport which has been little more than rubble for the past several months.
NATO described the fighting across the rebel east as “fiercer than ever,” saying it was as bad as it was before the September 5 ceasefire, and in some cases even worse.
Even though the Ukrainian military is the one that pressed the offensive against the airport, President Poroshenko claimed it was the rebels who were the real ceasefire violators, promising to “give it to them in the teeth” for it.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- UN Aid Chief Slams Saudis for Blocking Yemen Aid - August 18th, 2017
- Top US General: Attack on Japan Same as an Attack on US - August 18th, 2017
- Saudi Arabia Courts Iraq Alliance, Offering Reconstruction Aid - August 18th, 2017
- Assad Advisor: Syrian War Effectively Over - August 18th, 2017
- North Korea Sees Planned US-South Korea Wargames as 'Catastrophe' - August 18th, 2017