At least 49 people were killed and scores wounded in a suicide bombing in Ibb, in central Yemen, which targeted a Shi’ite religious celebration that was attended by a number of leaders of the Houthi rebels.
The Houthis have advanced into cities like Ibb, which were in al-Qaeda territory, in recent month, and al-Qaeda has launched a number of suicide attacks against them.
How many Houthis were among the killed and wounded is unclear, but leaders called it a “massacre,” adding that many women and children were also wounded in the incident.
So was the city’s governor, according to reports, though he is expected to survive. So far al-Qaeda hasn’t claimed credit for the attack, though it is widely expected that they will.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Philippine Police Conduct Door-to-Door Drug Tests in Manila's Poor Neighborhoods - August 23rd, 2017
- Lockheed, Raytheon Get Contracts for New Nuclear Cruise Missile - August 23rd, 2017
- 16 Years Into War, Taliban's Presence Across Afghanistan Growing - August 23rd, 2017
- Yemen's Houthis Ban Political Activity Ahead of Planned Capital Rally - August 23rd, 2017
- US Has Thousands More Troops in Afghanistan Than Official Figure - August 23rd, 2017