At least 49 people were killed and scores wounded in a suicide bombing in Ibb, in central Yemen, which targeted a Shi’ite religious celebration that was attended by a number of leaders of the Houthi rebels.
The Houthis have advanced into cities like Ibb, which were in al-Qaeda territory, in recent month, and al-Qaeda has launched a number of suicide attacks against them.
How many Houthis were among the killed and wounded is unclear, but leaders called it a “massacre,” adding that many women and children were also wounded in the incident.
So was the city’s governor, according to reports, though he is expected to survive. So far al-Qaeda hasn’t claimed credit for the attack, though it is widely expected that they will.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Russian, Syrian Airstrikes in Aleppo Province Displace Hundreds - December 12th, 2017
- Congress Ignores Trump's Iran Deal Deadline - December 12th, 2017
- Two Islamic Jihad Militants Killed in Gaza Blast - December 12th, 2017
- Trump Signs $692 Billion Military Spending Bill - December 12th, 2017
- USAID Chief: No Sign Saudis Easing Yemen Blockade - December 12th, 2017