At least 49 people were killed and scores wounded in a suicide bombing in Ibb, in central Yemen, which targeted a Shi’ite religious celebration that was attended by a number of leaders of the Houthi rebels.
The Houthis have advanced into cities like Ibb, which were in al-Qaeda territory, in recent month, and al-Qaeda has launched a number of suicide attacks against them.
How many Houthis were among the killed and wounded is unclear, but leaders called it a “massacre,” adding that many women and children were also wounded in the incident.
So was the city’s governor, according to reports, though he is expected to survive. So far al-Qaeda hasn’t claimed credit for the attack, though it is widely expected that they will.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israeli Ambassador to France Slammed for Attempt to Censor News - October 16th, 2018
- Suspects in Journalist's Disappearance Linked to Saudi Crown Prince - October 16th, 2018
- Erdogan: Turkey to Expand Military Operations Against Syrian Kurds - October 16th, 2018
- Koreas Agree to Reconnect Rail, Road Links - October 16th, 2018
- Erdogan: Toxic Materials Found in Saudi Consulate - October 16th, 2018