Al-Qaeda’s Syrian faction, Jabhat al-Nusra has announced it executed one of the numerous kidnapped Lebanese soldiers it held in retaliation for the Lebanese government capturing Saja Dulaimi, the putative wife of ISIS Caliph Abu Bakr Baghdadi.
Lebanon insists Dulaimi was Baghdadi’s wife for a few months six years ago, though they’ve also speculated she might be married to some other member of ISIS or Nusra.
Nusra was the first to take revenge for her capture, but ISIS is also warning they’re going to kidnap Lebanese civilians over the issue, and may withdraw from talks on releasing the soldiers they hold.
The Lebanese government was expressing hope they could use Dulaimi’s status, whatever it might be, to trade her and her children for the Lebanese soldiers. The Islamist factions, however, are insisting she is just one of many refugees, and are using her capture as justification for retaliation against Lebanon.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Report: North Korea Will Release Three Detained Americans - March 18th, 2018
- White House Assembling a Team for Upcoming North Korea Summit - March 16th, 2018
- US Shifts Toward Harsher Stance on Russia With Sanctions and Condemnation - March 16th, 2018
- Putin Furious After Britain Says He Ordered Attack - March 16th, 2018
- Cluster Bombs Reportedly Dropped on Syria's Eastern Ghouta - March 16th, 2018