Al-Qaeda’s Syrian faction, Jabhat al-Nusra has announced it executed one of the numerous kidnapped Lebanese soldiers it held in retaliation for the Lebanese government capturing Saja Dulaimi, the putative wife of ISIS Caliph Abu Bakr Baghdadi.
Lebanon insists Dulaimi was Baghdadi’s wife for a few months six years ago, though they’ve also speculated she might be married to some other member of ISIS or Nusra.
Nusra was the first to take revenge for her capture, but ISIS is also warning they’re going to kidnap Lebanese civilians over the issue, and may withdraw from talks on releasing the soldiers they hold.
The Lebanese government was expressing hope they could use Dulaimi’s status, whatever it might be, to trade her and her children for the Lebanese soldiers. The Islamist factions, however, are insisting she is just one of many refugees, and are using her capture as justification for retaliation against Lebanon.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- ISIS Kills 30 Pro-Govt Fights Near Syrian City of Palmyra - May 22nd, 2018
- Scores Killed in Attacks Across Central Afghanistan - May 22nd, 2018
- Aide: US Contacting Members of Iraqi Cleric Sadr's Bloc - May 22nd, 2018
- US 'Plan B' With Iran Sets the Stage for War - May 22nd, 2018
- Israeli Military Says It Is First to Use F-35 in Combat - May 22nd, 2018