A group of four attackers wearing Indian Army uniforms attacked a military base on the Indian side of the disputed border in Kashmir, sparking one of the worst single incidents of violence in over a year.
The gunmen split up on the base and started firing on soldiers and civilians. When the dust had settled, the attackers were killed, along with three soldiers and four civilians.
Violence had been ongoing throughout summer along the border, with India and Pakistan trading fire across the nebulous line of control. With most Kashmir militant groups based out of Pakistan, today’s incident risks another flareup.
Though officials insisted all the attackers were killed in the incident, Indian tanks are reportedly roaming the countryside, looking for other “hidden terrorists” who might conceivably be in the area.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump Wants High-Profile Meeting With Putin at G20 Summit - June 26th, 2017
- House Spending Bill Threatens to Suspend Nuclear Treaty With Russia - June 26th, 2017
- Bahrain Accuses Qatar of Seeking 'Military Escalation' - June 26th, 2017
- White House Appears to Be Planning Attack on Assad - June 26th, 2017
- Top Senator Blocks Gulf Arms Sales Over Qatar Crisis - June 26th, 2017