A group of four attackers wearing Indian Army uniforms attacked a military base on the Indian side of the disputed border in Kashmir, sparking one of the worst single incidents of violence in over a year.
The gunmen split up on the base and started firing on soldiers and civilians. When the dust had settled, the attackers were killed, along with three soldiers and four civilians.
Violence had been ongoing throughout summer along the border, with India and Pakistan trading fire across the nebulous line of control. With most Kashmir militant groups based out of Pakistan, today’s incident risks another flareup.
Though officials insisted all the attackers were killed in the incident, Indian tanks are reportedly roaming the countryside, looking for other “hidden terrorists” who might conceivably be in the area.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Iraq Says They Killed 45 ISIS Members in Syria Airstrikes - June 24th, 2018
- UN Offers to Manage Yemen Aid Port of Hodeidah - June 24th, 2018
- Pentagon Sends Coffins, Flags to DMZ to Receive War Remains From North Korea - June 24th, 2018
- Iraqi Cleric Sadr Forms Political Alliance With PM Abadi - June 24th, 2018
- Judges Limit Iraq Vote Recount to 'Suspect' Ballots - June 24th, 2018