A group of four attackers wearing Indian Army uniforms attacked a military base on the Indian side of the disputed border in Kashmir, sparking one of the worst single incidents of violence in over a year.
The gunmen split up on the base and started firing on soldiers and civilians. When the dust had settled, the attackers were killed, along with three soldiers and four civilians.
Violence had been ongoing throughout summer along the border, with India and Pakistan trading fire across the nebulous line of control. With most Kashmir militant groups based out of Pakistan, today’s incident risks another flareup.
Though officials insisted all the attackers were killed in the incident, Indian tanks are reportedly roaming the countryside, looking for other “hidden terrorists” who might conceivably be in the area.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- ISIS Kills 14 in Suicide Bombings in South Yemen Port of Aden - February 25th, 2018
- Syrian Kurd Leader Arrested in Prague at Behest of Turkey - February 25th, 2018
- UN Unanimously Backs Ceasefire in Syria - February 25th, 2018
- Palestinians Slam Planned US Embassy Move to Jerusalem - February 23rd, 2018
- White House Orders Military Parade for Veterans Day - February 23rd, 2018