A group of four attackers wearing Indian Army uniforms attacked a military base on the Indian side of the disputed border in Kashmir, sparking one of the worst single incidents of violence in over a year.
The gunmen split up on the base and started firing on soldiers and civilians. When the dust had settled, the attackers were killed, along with three soldiers and four civilians.
Violence had been ongoing throughout summer along the border, with India and Pakistan trading fire across the nebulous line of control. With most Kashmir militant groups based out of Pakistan, today’s incident risks another flareup.
Though officials insisted all the attackers were killed in the incident, Indian tanks are reportedly roaming the countryside, looking for other “hidden terrorists” who might conceivably be in the area.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Pence: North Korea Has Not Taken 'Concrete Steps' to Dismantle Nuclear Program - January 16th, 2019
- House Poised to Advance Bipartisan Bill to End Support for Saudi War in Yemen - January 16th, 2019
- American Anchor for Iran's PressTV Arrested During US Visit - January 16th, 2019
- Report: US Peace Plan Would Give Palestinians Most of West Bank - January 16th, 2019
- Al-Shabaab: Kenya Attack Revenge for Trump's Jerusalem Policy - January 16th, 2019