A group of four attackers wearing Indian Army uniforms attacked a military base on the Indian side of the disputed border in Kashmir, sparking one of the worst single incidents of violence in over a year.
The gunmen split up on the base and started firing on soldiers and civilians. When the dust had settled, the attackers were killed, along with three soldiers and four civilians.
Violence had been ongoing throughout summer along the border, with India and Pakistan trading fire across the nebulous line of control. With most Kashmir militant groups based out of Pakistan, today’s incident risks another flareup.
Though officials insisted all the attackers were killed in the incident, Indian tanks are reportedly roaming the countryside, looking for other “hidden terrorists” who might conceivably be in the area.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israel, US Try to Block International Force for Gaza Strip - May 20th, 2018
- Iran: Europe's Support for Nuclear Deal Not Enough - May 20th, 2018
- EU, Russia, and China in Talks on New Iran Nuclear Deal - May 20th, 2018
- Iraq's Sadr Talks 'Inclusive' Govt in Early Coalition Talks - May 20th, 2018
- Taliban Offers Amnesty for Afghan Deserters, Will Focus on Attacking US, NATO Troops - May 20th, 2018