Unlike previous beheadings, the reported killing of 26-year-old aid worker Peter Kassig was released in a video by ISIS today that didn’t actually show the beheading itself, which raised some early speculation that it didn’t really happen.
Despite this, the Obama Administration confirmed that Kassig, a former Army Ranger, was indeed beheaded, dubbing it an “act of pure evil.”
ISIS cited Kassig’s military service in the video, and unlike previous videos also did not show images of other detainees, though it did assure that more killings were coming in the future.
The voice of the ISIS narrator was also disguised this time, unlike in previous videos, which may suggest the group is increasingly concerned with keeping its “media team” anonymous in the face of growing US attacks.
In the video, ISIS also dismissed US claims to have withdrawn from Iraq four years ago, saying that the troops have remained hidden behind their proxies in the Iraqi military.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Expands Afghan Base to Accommodate Ongoing Surge - December 17th, 2018
- Taliban Meets US Officials in United Arab Emirates - December 17th, 2018
- US Accepts Assad Staying in Syria -- But Won't Give Aid - December 17th, 2018
- Turkish FM: US Working on Extraditing Gulen - December 17th, 2018
- Erdogan: Trump Expressed Support for Turkish Attack on Syrian Kurds - December 17th, 2018