Months after the July crash of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17 in eastern Ukraine, Germany’s BND spy agency has blamed the eastern Ukrainian rebels in testimony to the German parliament.
The blame echoes US allegations months ago, and the BND claimed that a 9k37 Buk missile system was responsible for the shootdown. They cited only satellite images in drawing this conclusion.
The Ukrainian military had 9k37s in the area, and claimed the rebels did as well, at times claiming the rebels seized them from a Ukrainian base, and at other times claiming Russia gave them to them. At other times they claimed to have photos showing the Russians themselves had attacked the plane.
The BND chief said there was evidence to conclude that the Ukrainian photos were “manipulated,” but that he was still convinced that the rebels had fired the missile.
298 people were on the plane, and there were no survivors.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- ISIS Is Gone, But Iraq's Main Refinery Remains in Ruins - December 11th, 2017
- US-Backed Syrian Kurds, Iraqi Army Coordinate at Border - December 11th, 2017
- Iran FM Urges Europe to Preserve Nuclear Deal - December 11th, 2017
- Key Iraqi Shi'ite Cleric Urges Fighters to Disarm - December 11th, 2017
- Turkish Army: 29 PKK killed in Strikes on Northern Iraq - December 11th, 2017