In an interview with the Daily Telegraph, London Mayor Boris Johnson said the British security services are monitoring “in the low thousands of people” within London on suspicion of being terrorists.
Johnson sought to hype the security services’ vigilance, saying that there are “thousands of operations” every single day, and that residents should be “very very concerned” about ISIS
According to Johnson, the British government believes that “a third, maybe more – maybe half” of the 500-600 estimated British members of ISIS are Londoners, and that they will eventually return to the city.
Scotland Yard was reporting thousands of Britons monitored nationwide as far back as 2006, and Johnson’s comments suggest the surveillance of “suspects” is at least as broad as it was then.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US-Led Airstrikes Killed 472 Civilians in Syria in the Past Month - June 23rd, 2017
- US Narrows Counter-Extremism Program to Focus on Islamists - June 23rd, 2017
- Senator: US Strikes on Syrian Forces 'Unlawful' - June 23rd, 2017
- Kurds Warn Turkey's Buildup in North Syria Threatens Raqqa Invasion - June 23rd, 2017
- Senators Seek Clarification on US Role in Yemen Torture - June 23rd, 2017