In an interview with the Daily Telegraph, London Mayor Boris Johnson said the British security services are monitoring “in the low thousands of people” within London on suspicion of being terrorists.
Johnson sought to hype the security services’ vigilance, saying that there are “thousands of operations” every single day, and that residents should be “very very concerned” about ISIS
According to Johnson, the British government believes that “a third, maybe more – maybe half” of the 500-600 estimated British members of ISIS are Londoners, and that they will eventually return to the city.
Scotland Yard was reporting thousands of Britons monitored nationwide as far back as 2006, and Johnson’s comments suggest the surveillance of “suspects” is at least as broad as it was then.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Russian, Syrian Airstrikes in Aleppo Province Displace Hundreds - December 12th, 2017
- Congress Ignores Trump's Iran Deal Deadline - December 12th, 2017
- Two Islamic Jihad Militants Killed in Gaza Blast - December 12th, 2017
- Trump Signs $692 Billion Military Spending Bill - December 12th, 2017
- USAID Chief: No Sign Saudis Easing Yemen Blockade - December 12th, 2017