In an interview with the Daily Telegraph, London Mayor Boris Johnson said the British security services are monitoring “in the low thousands of people” within London on suspicion of being terrorists.
Johnson sought to hype the security services’ vigilance, saying that there are “thousands of operations” every single day, and that residents should be “very very concerned” about ISIS
According to Johnson, the British government believes that “a third, maybe more – maybe half” of the 500-600 estimated British members of ISIS are Londoners, and that they will eventually return to the city.
Scotland Yard was reporting thousands of Britons monitored nationwide as far back as 2006, and Johnson’s comments suggest the surveillance of “suspects” is at least as broad as it was then.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- John Bolton to Replace McMaster as National Security Adviser - March 22nd, 2018
- Airstrike in Northern Syria Kills 20 Civilians, Mostly Children - March 21st, 2018
- Britain, Russia Continue to Trade Accusations Over Salisbury Poisoning - March 21st, 2018
- US, North Korea, and South Korea Hold Constructive Talks in Finland - March 21st, 2018
- Israel Publicly Admits 2007 Attack on Syria 'Nuclear Reactor' - March 21st, 2018