Though the ceasefire that brought the eastern Ukraine war to a halt is holding across 90+ percent of the country, the rebel capital of Donetsk continues to be a flashpoint, with the military continuing to shell rebel-held residential neighborhoods, and rebels still trying to take the airport.
The latest push on the airport began this morning, and was the second time this week they tried to advance. The Ukraine military denied reports that large parts of the airport had fallen, and insisted they retained it.
Ukraine denied the shelling that hit the Red Cross worker, even though it was against rebel-held territory. The Red Cross issued a statement warning indiscriminate shelling of residential areas violates international law.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Gaza Ceasefire Largely Holding After Weekend Flareup - July 15th, 2018
- US Officials Say Trainer Policies May Change After Afghan Insider Attack - July 15th, 2018
- Israel Attacks Airbase Outside Northern Syrian City of Aleppo - July 15th, 2018
- Trump Lowers Expectations for Russia Summit - July 15th, 2018
- Afghan Civilian Deaths Hit Record High, Says UN - July 15th, 2018