Though the ceasefire that brought the eastern Ukraine war to a halt is holding across 90+ percent of the country, the rebel capital of Donetsk continues to be a flashpoint, with the military continuing to shell rebel-held residential neighborhoods, and rebels still trying to take the airport.
The latest push on the airport began this morning, and was the second time this week they tried to advance. The Ukraine military denied reports that large parts of the airport had fallen, and insisted they retained it.
Ukraine denied the shelling that hit the Red Cross worker, even though it was against rebel-held territory. The Red Cross issued a statement warning indiscriminate shelling of residential areas violates international law.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Drone Strikes Kill 31 People in Pakistan Tribal Areas - October 17th, 2017
- Catalonia Won't Renounce Independence, Despite Looming Deadline - October 17th, 2017
- Pentagon May Stop Training Iraqis Amid Kurdish Conflict - October 17th, 2017
- Kurdish Forces Abandon Territory In Face of Iraqi Offensive - October 17th, 2017
- Syrian Kurds Declare Victory in Raqqa, But Face Complicated Peace - October 17th, 2017