Earlier this morning, Ukrainian forces shelled a school playground in the rebel capital city of Donetsk, killing at least 10 people, one of whom was identified as a rebel fighter, and the others all civilians.
The attack occurred shortly after the school-day began, so none of the students themselves were at the playground at the time. The school’s biology teacher, along with one of the students’ parents, were among the slain, however.
The Ukrainian military, as usual, inexplicably claimed that the rebels had launched the attack, on a school in their own territory, while the rebels insisted that the military was targeting their fighter, and that the death toll was higher, with two other unidentified victims among the slain.
It’s the second incident in Donetsk this week, after nine soldiers were killed in a clash with rebels on Monday near the airport. Despite this, the ceasefire continues to hold across much of the nation.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US to Cut Some Somali Military Aid Over Misuse, Corruption - December 17th, 2017
- Sistani: Shi'ite Militias Should Remain as Part of Iraq's Security Services - December 17th, 2017
- Mounting Tensions Drive Arms Sales to Multi-Decade High - December 17th, 2017
- US Commandos Participate in Thousands of Afghan Ground Operations - December 17th, 2017
- Israeli Crackdowns, Arrests Fail to Stop Jerusalem Protests - December 17th, 2017