Military Spokesman: No Deal Without Unilateral Surrender
The Ukrainian military has angrily spurned a call from eastern Ukrainian rebel leaders for a humanitarian ceasefire, aiming to allow civilians trapped in the sieged city of Donetsk to escape.
The proposal was pushed overnight by Alexander Zakharchenko, the premier of the secessionist Donetsk People’s Republic, saying it was necessary to avert a growing humanitarian crisis in the city, the largest rebel-held city.
Ukrainian military spokesman Andriy Lysenko insisted no offers for a ceasefire would even be considered without a unilateral, unconditional surrender by the rebels.
The Ukrainian military has Donetsk surrounded, and is shelling areas across the city. Large numbers of civilians have already fled, but many more remain, trapped in the ongoing siege.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- White House: No Alternative to Iran Negotiations - February 27th, 2015
- Former MI6 Chief: MI5 Didn't Radicalize Jihadi John - February 27th, 2015
- Former Russian Deputy PM Slain in Moscow - February 27th, 2015
- Obama Renews NSA Bulk Surveillance Program Once Again - February 27th, 2015
- Former Mossad Chief: Netanyahu Taking 'Intolerable' Risks Alienating US - February 27th, 2015