The Pentagon today announced its intention, pending Congressional approval, to send troops to Ukraine for “training exercises” designed to increase the Ukrainian military’s “capacity for internal defense” as it fights eastern rebels.
The plan seeks to use a contingency fund for “counterterrorism” to train the Ukrainian military, which conveniently dubbed their crackdown on eastern secessionists an “anti-terror” operation.
Pentagon officials say they are still not planning to send “lethal aid” to the Ukrainian military, something Congressional hawks are increasingly pushing for as they envision bankrolling a broad Russo-Ukrainian War.
Fighting has continued to escalate in the east as the military moves to wipe out the last pockets of rebel resistance, using ballistic missiles and airstrikes against the few cities the rebels still hold and sparking a growing civilian exodus to neighboring Russia.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- White House Corrects Tillerson, Rejects North Korea Talks - December 13th, 2017
- White House Accuses Abbas of 'Preventing Peace' With Criticism - December 13th, 2017
- US Expected to Sanction Iran Because of Worsening Conditions in Yemen - December 13th, 2017
- Saudi Airstrikes Against Yemen Capital Kill 39 - December 13th, 2017
- Yemen's Pro-Saleh Faction, Houthis Make a Deal to End Dispute - December 13th, 2017