Pentagon Expected to Withhold Evidence
US officials today revealed that the Ukrainian military has begun firing short-range ballistic missiles against rebels in the nation’s east, a new tactic employed over the past two days and a massive escalation of the war.
The missiles are much larger and more destructive than the rockets and artillery used in previous attacks, and are carrying 1,000 pound or larger warheads. The US refused to say what the missiles hit.
And they probably never will, meaning it will simply be a question of finding that out from the rebels. Officials say they don’t believe that the Pentagon will ever release their satellite imagery of the ballistic missiles “because these are the good guys.”
Ukraine is known to have an arsenal of 9K79 Tochka short-range tactical ballistic missiles. Such weapons were initially designed to support use of tactical, low-yield nuclear weapons, though Ukraine has no such warheads, and instead uses fragmentation payloads.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Women Leaders Urge UN Chief to End Korean War After 63 Years - September 27th, 2016
- Libyan Unity Govt: No Choice But to Give General a Position of Influence - September 27th, 2016
- Defense Secretary: 9/11 Victims Bill Could Be Devastating to Military - September 27th, 2016
- FBI Investigating Possible Hacking of Dems' Cellphones - September 27th, 2016
- Turkey: Kurds Joining Raqqa Offensive Would Endanger Syria's Future - September 27th, 2016