The Israeli Security Cabinet gave yet another order to escalate the war in the Gaza Strip on Wednesday, and the military wasted no time, ordering a call up of 16,000 more reservists to active duty to fight in Gaza.
That brings the total call ups of Israeli reservists to 86,000 since the beginning of July, with over 50 of them openly refusing to serve, releasing a letter opposing the war and conscription in general.
Roughly 5% of Israel’s total population is classified as reserve personnel, and the age of exemption varies based on a number of factors. Israel has a comprehensive system of conscription of adults.
So far, the death toll among Israelis has almost exclusively been military personnel, 56 out of 59 total killed on their side. By contrast, the victims of the strikes on Gaza are overwhelming civilians.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Cluster Bomb Attack Against East Syrian Village Kills at Least 30 Civilians - June 28th, 2017
- Russia: Trump and Putin Probably Should Talk During Hamburg Summit - June 28th, 2017
- US Special Forces Deployed to Kurdish City on Turkish Border - June 28th, 2017
- ISIS Looks to Expand Presence in Northern Afghanistan - June 28th, 2017
- South Korea Leader Reverses Stance, Now Backs Trump Against North Korea - June 28th, 2017