The Israeli Security Cabinet gave yet another order to escalate the war in the Gaza Strip on Wednesday, and the military wasted no time, ordering a call up of 16,000 more reservists to active duty to fight in Gaza.
That brings the total call ups of Israeli reservists to 86,000 since the beginning of July, with over 50 of them openly refusing to serve, releasing a letter opposing the war and conscription in general.
Roughly 5% of Israel’s total population is classified as reserve personnel, and the age of exemption varies based on a number of factors. Israel has a comprehensive system of conscription of adults.
So far, the death toll among Israelis has almost exclusively been military personnel, 56 out of 59 total killed on their side. By contrast, the victims of the strikes on Gaza are overwhelming civilians.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump Officials Trying to Finalize Legal Language to Expand Gitmo's Use - August 20th, 2017
- White House Continues to Talk Up 'Preventative War' Against North Korea - August 20th, 2017
- Trump Elevates US Cyber Command to a Formal Military Command - August 20th, 2017
- Abbas: After 20 Meetings I Still Don't Understand Trump's Peace Plan - August 20th, 2017
- Lebanon's Army Advances Deep Into ISIS-Held Border Territory - August 20th, 2017