The Israeli Security Cabinet gave yet another order to escalate the war in the Gaza Strip on Wednesday, and the military wasted no time, ordering a call up of 16,000 more reservists to active duty to fight in Gaza.
That brings the total call ups of Israeli reservists to 86,000 since the beginning of July, with over 50 of them openly refusing to serve, releasing a letter opposing the war and conscription in general.
Roughly 5% of Israel’s total population is classified as reserve personnel, and the age of exemption varies based on a number of factors. Israel has a comprehensive system of conscription of adults.
So far, the death toll among Israelis has almost exclusively been military personnel, 56 out of 59 total killed on their side. By contrast, the victims of the strikes on Gaza are overwhelming civilians.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Chemical Inspectors Arrive in Syria's Douma, Collect Samples - April 21st, 2018
- Saudi Airstrike Kills 20 Civilians in Southwest Yemen - April 20th, 2018
- North Korea Tones Down Anti-US Rhetoric as New South Korea Hotline Opens - April 20th, 2018
- Russia Says US Didn't Violate Red Lines During Syria Strike - April 20th, 2018
- UN Security Team Still Won't Let Inspectors Visit Douma - April 20th, 2018