Earlier today, Russia’s foreign ministry issued a statement complaining about “unfounded public insinuations” against them made by the United States, calling it a smear campaign based on “anti-Russian cliches.”
As if to underscore Russia’s complaints, US State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf, when asked during a press briefing about Ukraine’s indiscriminate targeting of civilians and the deaths of some 300 Ukrainian civilians in their attacks, blamed Russia.
“Ukraine is a country with borders that Russia violated,” Harf said of the 300 civilians, adding that Ukraine had a “responsibility and a duty” to defend their territory militarily, “which is what they’re doing.”
When pressed on whether she was “blaming Russia in the whole,” Harf insisted “yes, because Russia invaded a foreign country.” The US has long endorsed Ukraine’s offensive against eastern rebels, and instead of backing calls for negotiations has demanded Russia use its influence to force the rebels to unconditionally surrender to the pro-West government.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Abbas, Haley Trade Barbs Over Peace Process at UN Security Council - February 20th, 2018
- 29 Killed in Afghanistan Attacks - February 20th, 2018
- Russia Confirms Several Dozen Citizens Killed in US Strike - February 20th, 2018
- Syrian Pro-Govt Forces Enter Afrin, Are Attacked by Turkish Military - February 20th, 2018
- Pentagon Wants Extra Time to Spend Massive Cash Influx - February 20th, 2018