Earlier today, Russia’s foreign ministry issued a statement complaining about “unfounded public insinuations” against them made by the United States, calling it a smear campaign based on “anti-Russian cliches.”
As if to underscore Russia’s complaints, US State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf, when asked during a press briefing about Ukraine’s indiscriminate targeting of civilians and the deaths of some 300 Ukrainian civilians in their attacks, blamed Russia.
“Ukraine is a country with borders that Russia violated,” Harf said of the 300 civilians, adding that Ukraine had a “responsibility and a duty” to defend their territory militarily, “which is what they’re doing.”
When pressed on whether she was “blaming Russia in the whole,” Harf insisted “yes, because Russia invaded a foreign country.” The US has long endorsed Ukraine’s offensive against eastern rebels, and instead of backing calls for negotiations has demanded Russia use its influence to force the rebels to unconditionally surrender to the pro-West government.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Turkish Airstrikes Kill 35 Kurdish PKK in Northern Iraq - June 17th, 2018
- Afghan President Offers Extension as Ramadan Ceasefire Expires - June 17th, 2018
- Saudi Warplanes Strike Airport in Yemen's Hodeidah - June 17th, 2018
- ISIS Suicide Bombers Kill 54 in Two Days in Eastern Afghanistan - June 17th, 2018
- US Denies Attacking Syrian Military Site Near Iraqi Border - June 17th, 2018