Hamas: Ending Blockade Is Only Goal
The UN Security Council expressed concern about civilian casualties in Israel’s ongoing invasion of the Gaza Strip and has called for a ceasefire, with Secretary General Ban Ki-moon on the way to Cairo to try to help broker the deal.
Ban joins a lot of international officials calling for the ceasefire, but there is little sign that Israel is on board for the deal right now, nor has Egypt yet even agreed to talk to Hamas, though they did indicate some new “flexibility” on the matter.
It isn’t even clear what Israel would want as terms for ending the war, as they haven’t been very clear on their war goals. Hamas has insisted they only want one thing: the end of the Gaza Strip blockade.
The 2012 Israeli war on Gaza is likely informing Israeli officials on the ceasefire talks, as they were panned by hawks for ending that war too soon, and even if Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu isn’t clear what he wants out of this war, it seems an unpopular peace deal is something he very much wants to avoid, no matter how long he has to continue a pointless war to avoid it.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- ISIS Beheads Nine Kurdish Fighters as Battle Rages for Town - October 1st, 2014
- 41 Children Slain in Suicide Attack Outside Syrian School - October 1st, 2014
- Iraq PM Warns Arab States Not to Join US Airstrikes - October 1st, 2014
- Ukraine Shells Donetsk Playground, Killing 10 - October 1st, 2014
- Spy Agency Officials: Obama Scapegoating Us Over ISIS - October 1st, 2014