An airstrike tore through the rebel-held Ukrainian city of Snizhne today, hammering an apartment block and killing 11 civilians. The attack appeared to be part of the ongoing Ukrainian military offensive against rebel territory.
Yet after the reports of civilian casualties emerged, Ukraine immediately changed its story and began claiming that Russia, who is backing the rebels, for some reason launched an airstrike against their own allies.
It’s part of a growing war of words between Ukraine and its much larger neighbor, and after months of fearing a Russian invasion, Ukraine is now trying to portray virtually everything that happens in the east as direct Russian military intervention.
Russia, by contrast, remains angry about a cross-border shelling by the Ukrainian military, which killed a civilian over the weekend. The assumption is it was a misfire from Ukraine’s artillery, though the Ukrainian military, unwilling to admit anything happens on accident, claims the whole incident never happened at all.
The US remains on board for whatever position Ukraine takes, and is said to be preparing a new round of sanctions against Russia to punish them for “threatening moves” against Ukraine.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Despite Assurances, Legality of Trump Nuclear Strike May Not Matter - November 22nd, 2017
- Israeli Forces Demolish Brand New Family Home in East Jerusalem - November 22nd, 2017
- East Ukraine in Turmoil Amid Claimed 'Coup' in Luhansk - November 22nd, 2017
- US Asked for Saudis to Ease Yemen Blockade - November 22nd, 2017
- Local Afghan Leaders Protest Deadly US Strikes on 'Heroin Labs' - November 22nd, 2017