Just two days after downplaying the threat posed by ISIS, President Obama today insisted the foreign jihadists recruited by ISIS, particularly those from EU member nations, pose a “serious threat” to US security.
Obama’s new comments are in line with warnings from other officials for years, that the Western passport holders joining ISIS will eventually return with contacts to jihadist leadership, and likely orders to attack.
There are dozens of ISIS supporters from the US who have gone to Syria, but thousands from EU member nations, and those passports allow them access that most Middle Eastern jihadists simply wouldn’t have.
Officials are indicating the new “threats” portend a push by the administration for “enhanced security measures” at airports both in the United States and abroad. Details of what this will mean are scant, but more “random screenings” targeted at “certain types of travelers” are to be expected.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Cleric Sadr Calls for Delay in Forming Iraqi Govt as Protests Grow - July 19th, 2018
- Putin: Talks on Extending START Nuclear Treaty Must Start Now - July 19th, 2018
- Trump Invites Putin to White House for Second Summit - July 19th, 2018
- Afghan Defense Ministry Confirms Civilians Killed in Kunduz Airstrike - July 19th, 2018
- Trump Says Critics Badly Want War With Russia - July 19th, 2018