Speaking today on Good Morning America, President Obama sought to downplay the idea that ISIS establishing its own country in the Middle East posed a real security threat to America, insisting the US is constantly facing “serious threats” and would be fine either way.
The issue of how big a potential threat ISIS is has been the center of some debate, with hawks arguing for even more aggressive military action on the grounds that ISIS poses a serious threat to US interests.
Which of course entirely misses the point that US attacks on ISIS make them a dramatically bigger threat, and ISIS supporters have openly been vowing retaliation if (and when) the US insinuates itself directly into the Iraq war.
Likewise, Obama’s attempts to portray ISIS as no real threat inevitably beget the question of why he is so determined to continue sending troops to Iraq to fight ISIS in the first place.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Russian, Syrian Airstrikes in Aleppo Province Displace Hundreds - December 12th, 2017
- Congress Ignores Trump's Iran Deal Deadline - December 12th, 2017
- Two Islamic Jihad Militants Killed in Gaza Blast - December 12th, 2017
- Trump Signs $692 Billion Military Spending Bill - December 12th, 2017
- USAID Chief: No Sign Saudis Easing Yemen Blockade - December 12th, 2017