Online supporters of the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) have been warning the Obama Administration away from a potential policy of airstrikes against ISIS targets in Iraq.
The ISIS backers say any strike on ISIS would be met with retaliatory attacks against Americans, and that Obama’s intervention would be a “threat to every American.”
Given its history as al-Qaeda in Iraq (AQI), ISIS is already seen by the administration as a potential threat to the US, but the group seems more interested in acquiring territory in Iraq and Syria right now.
That could quickly change as the US looks to insinuate itself directly in the conflict, and while that would only escalate US involvement, it would likely also give ISIS another recruitment tool around the world to be resisting the US.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Cleric Sadr Calls for Delay in Forming Iraqi Govt as Protests Grow - July 19th, 2018
- Putin: Talks on Extending START Nuclear Treaty Must Start Now - July 19th, 2018
- Trump Invites Putin to White House for Second Summit - July 19th, 2018
- Afghan Defense Ministry Confirms Civilians Killed in Kunduz Airstrike - July 19th, 2018
- Trump Says Critics Badly Want War With Russia - July 19th, 2018