Tensions with Russia are on the rise again today as NATO launches the “Sabre Strike” military exercises in Latvia and Lithuania. Some 4,700 troops and 800 military vehicles are taking part in the action, right along the Russian border.
It’s worth noting that NATO was furious at Russia for conducting its own wargames near Ukraine’s border, dubbing it a threat even though Ukraine isn’t a NATO member to begin with. Latvian DM Raimonds Vejonis touted the Sabre Strike wargames as aimed directly at Russia and their “aggression” in the region.
Russia’s Foreign Ministry is none too happy with this turn of events, and warned it would treat any further NATO buildups in the region as a “demonstration of hostile intentions” that would lead to political and military measures in retaliation.
Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov went on to say that NATO’s eastward expansion is “counterproductive” and contrary to pledges previously given to Russia.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Expands Afghan Base to Accommodate Ongoing Surge - December 17th, 2018
- Taliban Meets US Officials in United Arab Emirates - December 17th, 2018
- US Accepts Assad Staying in Syria -- But Won't Give Aid - December 17th, 2018
- Turkish FM: US Working on Extraditing Gulen - December 17th, 2018
- Erdogan: Trump Expressed Support for Turkish Attack on Syrian Kurds - December 17th, 2018