NATO Wargames Take Place in Latvia, Lithuania
Tensions with Russia are on the rise again today as NATO launches the “Sabre Strike” military exercises in Latvia and Lithuania. Some 4,700 troops and 800 military vehicles are taking part in the action, right along the Russian border.
It’s worth noting that NATO was furious at Russia for conducting its own wargames near Ukraine’s border, dubbing it a threat even though Ukraine isn’t a NATO member to begin with. Latvian DM Raimonds Vejonis touted the Sabre Strike wargames as aimed directly at Russia and their “aggression” in the region.
Russia’s Foreign Ministry is none too happy with this turn of events, and warned it would treat any further NATO buildups in the region as a “demonstration of hostile intentions” that would lead to political and military measures in retaliation.
Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov went on to say that NATO’s eastward expansion is “counterproductive” and contrary to pledges previously given to Russia.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Poland Will Obey EU Court, Compensate Black Site Detainees - February 18th, 2015
- Nigerian Airstrike Kills 37 Civilians Along Niger Border - February 18th, 2015
- Libyan ISIS' Mediterranean Outposts Have Italy Scrambling to War - February 18th, 2015
- Kurds Repel ISIS Offensive Southwest of Irbil - February 18th, 2015
- Officials: EU Considering Mending Ties With Assad - February 18th, 2015