Days of US drone strikes killed scores of people across Yemen, and while none of the “suspects” have been conclusively identified, Yemen’s government has so far confirmed three innocent civilians among the slain.
Finding that out is expensive, as the Yemeni government has confirmed paying compensatory “blood money” to the families of the three civilians, with some reporting $55,000 in cash and firearms given to the families.
The US refuses to confirm or deny its involvement in any of the attacks, except on those rare occasions when they kill someone they can conclusively identify. This likely means the US won’t be the ones ponying up the blood money.
Yemen said the three killed civilians were in a pickup truck that just happened to be near one of the vehicles attacked. There is no indication how many others might be civilians, but with 68 killed it is likely to be much more than just three.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian Rebels Began Evacuating Golan for North - July 20th, 2018
- Syrian, Russian Warplanes Kill 26 Civilians in Strikes on Southern ISIS Towns - July 20th, 2018
- US Urges Strict UN Sanctions on North Korea Until Denuclearization Finished - July 20th, 2018
- Merkel: Europe Can't Rely on US to Impose World Order - July 20th, 2018
- Israel, Hamas Reach Another Ceasefire After Five Killed in Friday Clashes - July 20th, 2018