Another US air strike against an Afghan village has ended in tragedy last night, with reports that the attack destroyed a home, killing a woman and seven children, and injuring at least one other civilian.
Afghan President Hamid Karzai confirmed the incident, reiterating his long-standing demands to stop launching strikes in residential areas, and saying the incident further harmed US-Afghan relations.
The Obama Administration has yet to respond to the killings, while NATO said they are “aware” of the civilian deaths, though they also claimed the strike was aimed at “an enemy force.”
NATO went on to issue a statement expressing “regret” for the civilian deaths, but touting the operation as having “disrupted” Taliban fighters in the area.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- At Least 30 Killed in Attacks Across Afghanistan - December 11th, 2018
- Iraqi Warplanes Strike Two ISIS Buildings in Eastern Syria - December 11th, 2018
- Trump Offers to Intervene in Huawei Case to Close Trade Deal - December 11th, 2018
- State Dept: Ending Yemen War 'Sends a Wrong Message' - December 11th, 2018
- Senate to Vote on Yemen War Challenge on Wednesday - December 11th, 2018