Reports swirling around the Israeli press say that Secretary of State John Kerry has offered to release convicted spy Jonathan Pollard and secure his departure to Israel if the Israeli government doesn’t renege on the promised releases of Palestinian detainees.
The Channel 10 report cited unnamed Israeli sources saying Kerry made the promise, but that he conceded he hadn’t asked Obama about it, and Israel doubts Kerry can actually get Obama to approve.
Other reports simply said Kerry had agreed to “consider” the release, but hadn’t promised to actually do so. The prisoners are scheduled to be released over the weekend.
Neither the White House nor the State Department was willing to comment on the report, and it seems unlikely that the US would agree to such a release merely for Israel agreeing not to renege on past promises.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Claims ISIS 'Rebuilding' in Syria as Turkey Invasion Distracts From Fight - March 19th, 2018
- Turkey's Erdogan Vows Wider Offensive Against US-Backed Syrian Kurds - March 19th, 2018
- Russia Demands British Apology as EU, NATO Express Solidarity With Britain - March 19th, 2018
- Trump, Kim Summit Likely to Be Held in DMZ Village - March 19th, 2018
- Afghan Special Forces Slaughter Farmers in Chaotic Errant Attack - March 19th, 2018