Reports swirling around the Israeli press say that Secretary of State John Kerry has offered to release convicted spy Jonathan Pollard and secure his departure to Israel if the Israeli government doesn’t renege on the promised releases of Palestinian detainees.
The Channel 10 report cited unnamed Israeli sources saying Kerry made the promise, but that he conceded he hadn’t asked Obama about it, and Israel doubts Kerry can actually get Obama to approve.
Other reports simply said Kerry had agreed to “consider” the release, but hadn’t promised to actually do so. The prisoners are scheduled to be released over the weekend.
Neither the White House nor the State Department was willing to comment on the report, and it seems unlikely that the US would agree to such a release merely for Israel agreeing not to renege on past promises.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Key Iraqi Shi'ite Militia Chief Wants Fighters Placed Under National Army - December 14th, 2017
- US Troops, Syrian Rebels Battle ISIS Near Key Base - December 14th, 2017
- US Will Preposition Jet Fuel in Algeria, Niger to Expand Drone Wars - December 14th, 2017
- US Warplanes Fire Warning Flares at Russian Jets Over Syria - December 14th, 2017
- Iran: US Presentation of Iranian Arms in Yemen Fabricated - December 14th, 2017