Locals and human rights activists are up in arms today in the remote Greek village of Praggi, where some 150 Syrian refugees who were living in the courtyard of the local church have mysteriously “disappeared.”
The only clue about what happened is that white police vans were seen moving toward the church. After that, all the Syrians were simply gone.
Greek police have been very open about their desire to make life “unbearable” for refugees to convince them to flee somewhere else, but they’ve so far been mum on the Praggi refugees. It is believed they were forced back across the border into Turkey.
Other refugees have had much the same experience with fleeing to Greece, reporting routine beatings and general abuse much in the vein of what they were fleeing from in he first place.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Ex-CIA Chief: US Meddles in Foreign Elections, But 'Only for a Very Good Cause' - February 18th, 2018
- Amid Worsening Tensions, Western Diplomats See Russia as 'Indispensable Partner' - February 18th, 2018
- Turkey: Chemical Weapons Use Allegations 'Baseless' - February 18th, 2018
- US Pushes Europe to Commit to Changing Iran Nuclear Deal - February 18th, 2018
- South Korean President Says Olympics Have Lowered Tensions With North - February 18th, 2018