According to administration officials, the Pentagon has put forward a proposal for direct US military training and equipping of Syria’s rebel forces, formally putting the US military in direct contact with rebel fighters.
It’s a first, of sorts. The US is already training and arming Syria’s rebels, of course, but is doing so with the CIA taking the helm. That’s allowed the US to keep the details of the operations secret, but officials have also regularly bragged about the policy.
Having the Pentagon either replace or supplant the CIA efforts would theoretically give the policy more transparency, but seems primarily aimed at escalating the US role in the civil war.
General Martin Dempsey, the Joint Chiefs Chairman, had hinted at seeking Pentagon authority on the matter in recent testimony, saying that the military “knows” it can turn the moderate rebels into a viable fighting force.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- South Korea's Moon Ratifies Recent North Korea Deals - October 23rd, 2018
- Pence Won't Rule Out Nukes in Space - October 23rd, 2018
- Syrian Observatory: US Has Killed Over 3,000 Civilians in Syria Since 2014 - October 23rd, 2018
- Bolton: US Plans Talks With Allies Before Leaving Nuclear Pact - October 23rd, 2018
- Bolton Rejects Russian Call to Stay in Nuclear Treaty - October 23rd, 2018