Last week, unconfirmed reports emerged about CIA-trained rebel factions planning to attack the Syrian capital city of Damascus. Nothing has come of it yet, but President Obama suggests that may be about to change.
According to those familiar with the closed-door meetings with hawkish senators, President Obama reportedly informed them that CIA-trained cells of fighters have infiltrated into Syria from neighboring Jordan and are preparing to make themselves heard on the front lines.
The comments were intended in particular to placate Sen. John McCain (R – AZ), who has criticized the current war plan for not specifically involving regime change, by arguing that the rebels will do that on their own.
The US has made much of its “training camp” in Jordan, and previous reports have suggested Israeli commandos have been involved in the operation as well, preparing “moderate” rebel factions to attack Syria in an attempt to convince the world that they remain a viable faction in a rebellion now overwhelmingly dominated by al-Qaeda.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US-Backed Kurds Declare ISIS 'Defeated' in Syria - March 23rd, 2019
- US Announces New Sanctions Against Iran, Targeting Former Nuclear Scientists - March 22nd, 2019
- Trump's Golan Heights Move Broadly Condemned Worldwide - March 22nd, 2019
- White House Again Declares Victory Over ISIS, But Fighting Continues - March 22nd, 2019
- Pompeo: 'Possible' God Sent Trump to Be Savior of Israel - March 22nd, 2019