A new report, originating in the French Le Figaro newspaper is claiming that an influx of Free Syrian Army (FSA) rebel fighters is moving from the Jordanian border toward the capital city of Damascus.
The fighters crossed back into Syria on August 17 and had more enter on the 19th. They were involved in the training operation at the US-run base in Jordan, and were reportedly trained by both CIA operatives and Israeli commandos.
If true the report would provide the first real insight into the training program’s inner workings, and would also be the first time Israel has been revealed to be directly involved in supporting the rebels. Needless to say, Israeli involvement could be a major blow to Syrian rebel credibility.
The rebel Syrian National Council is already denying this report, saying it was “out of the question” and that the claims amounted to “cheap heroism” aimed to spread the idea of Western backing for the rebels.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian Kurds Warn Turkey's Threats Are a 'Declaration of War' - December 14th, 2018
- US-Backed Kurdish Forces Seize ISIS Town in Eastern Syria - December 14th, 2018
- Pompeo Downplays White House Differences With Senate on Saudi Arabia - December 14th, 2018
- US, South Korea Fail to Agree on Cost-Sharing for Military Deployment - December 14th, 2018
- Yemen Clashes Threaten Ceasefire in Hodeidah - December 14th, 2018