A US drone attacked and destroyed a residential compound in North Waziristan Agency today, killing at least 17 people, whose identities are unknown. Some reports referred to the victims as including suspected members of the Haqqani Network, though this was unclear.
The attacks occurred overnight in the area around Darpa Khel. At least four missiles were fired in the attack, and a vehicle was destroyed alongside the house.
It was the second US drone strike since Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif returned to power. Sharif has demanded an end to US drone strikes in the strongest terms, and has vowed to end the previous government’s policy of public criticism and private endorsement of the attacks.
The US has reduced the number of drone strikes quite dramatically over the past several months, likely reflecting the worsening US-Pakistani relations and the reality that more attacks will complicate those ties even more.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- New Cyberattack Using NSA Exploit Spreads Across the World - June 27th, 2017
- US Attacks ISIS Prison, Killing Dozens of Civilians - June 27th, 2017
- Pentagon, State Dept 'Clueless' on Trump's Assad Allegation - June 27th, 2017
- Trump Wants High-Profile Meeting With Putin at G20 Summit - June 26th, 2017
- House Spending Bill Threatens to Suspend Nuclear Treaty With Russia - June 26th, 2017