A US drone attacked and destroyed a residential compound in North Waziristan Agency today, killing at least 17 people, whose identities are unknown. Some reports referred to the victims as including suspected members of the Haqqani Network, though this was unclear.
The attacks occurred overnight in the area around Darpa Khel. At least four missiles were fired in the attack, and a vehicle was destroyed alongside the house.
It was the second US drone strike since Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif returned to power. Sharif has demanded an end to US drone strikes in the strongest terms, and has vowed to end the previous government’s policy of public criticism and private endorsement of the attacks.
The US has reduced the number of drone strikes quite dramatically over the past several months, likely reflecting the worsening US-Pakistani relations and the reality that more attacks will complicate those ties even more.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Report: North Korea Will Release Three Detained Americans - March 18th, 2018
- White House Assembling a Team for Upcoming North Korea Summit - March 16th, 2018
- US Shifts Toward Harsher Stance on Russia With Sanctions and Condemnation - March 16th, 2018
- Putin Furious After Britain Says He Ordered Attack - March 16th, 2018
- Cluster Bombs Reportedly Dropped on Syria's Eastern Ghouta - March 16th, 2018