Two Indian Soldiers Reported Slain in Ambush
Two Indian soldiers were reported slain today and another injured in what Indian officials are calling an “ambush” by Pakistani soldiers on the road to Jammu, the latest in a line of incidents along the Kashmiri border.
Indian officials termed it a “ghastly” attack and claimed one of the bodies had been mutilated. The Foreign Ministry issued a statement promising to “attack” Pakistan in retaliation and that the strike would be “proportional.”
The two nations have fought multiple wars along the “line of control” between Indian and Pakistani Kashmir over the years, and tensions have been rising since a clash over the weekend which killed a Pakistani soldier.
At the time, Pakistan claimed Indian troops had crossed the border and attacked a checkpoint, while the Indian government insisted Pakistan launched an “unprovoked attack.” Today, Pakistan is likewise denying Indian allegations of a raid, saying India is trying to “sabotage” the peace process.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Congress to Bend Rules, Rush Through $607 Billion Military Bill - December 9th, 2013
- White House: Hersh Report on Syria Deception 'Simply False' - December 9th, 2013
- US Drone Strike Kills Four in Southern Yemen - December 9th, 2013
- Kerry Demanding PA Concessions to Placate Israel Over Iran - December 9th, 2013
- Iran FM: New US Sanctions Would Kill Nuclear Deal - December 9th, 2013