Two Indian Soldiers Reported Slain in Ambush
Two Indian soldiers were reported slain today and another injured in what Indian officials are calling an “ambush” by Pakistani soldiers on the road to Jammu, the latest in a line of incidents along the Kashmiri border.
Indian officials termed it a “ghastly” attack and claimed one of the bodies had been mutilated. The Foreign Ministry issued a statement promising to “attack” Pakistan in retaliation and that the strike would be “proportional.”
The two nations have fought multiple wars along the “line of control” between Indian and Pakistani Kashmir over the years, and tensions have been rising since a clash over the weekend which killed a Pakistani soldier.
At the time, Pakistan claimed Indian troops had crossed the border and attacked a checkpoint, while the Indian government insisted Pakistan launched an “unprovoked attack.” Today, Pakistan is likewise denying Indian allegations of a raid, saying India is trying to “sabotage” the peace process.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US-Backed Capture of Iraq's Amerli Fuels Fear of Revenge Killings - September 1st, 2014
- Vaunted 'Secular Rebels' Annoyed They Are Left Out of US Plans for Syria - September 1st, 2014
- Ukraine Hypes 'Great War': 'Worst Since WW2' - September 1st, 2014
- Tripoli Falls: Libya No Longer Controls Most Government Buildings - September 1st, 2014
- Afghan Power-Sharing Talks Collapse as Karzai Retires - September 1st, 2014