Two Indian soldiers were reported slain today and another injured in what Indian officials are calling an “ambush” by Pakistani soldiers on the road to Jammu, the latest in a line of incidents along the Kashmiri border.
Indian officials termed it a “ghastly” attack and claimed one of the bodies had been mutilated. The Foreign Ministry issued a statement promising to “attack” Pakistan in retaliation and that the strike would be “proportional.”
The two nations have fought multiple wars along the “line of control” between Indian and Pakistani Kashmir over the years, and tensions have been rising since a clash over the weekend which killed a Pakistani soldier.
At the time, Pakistan claimed Indian troops had crossed the border and attacked a checkpoint, while the Indian government insisted Pakistan launched an “unprovoked attack.” Today, Pakistan is likewise denying Indian allegations of a raid, saying India is trying to “sabotage” the peace process.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- White House Corrects Tillerson, Rejects North Korea Talks - December 13th, 2017
- White House Accuses Abbas of 'Preventing Peace' With Criticism - December 13th, 2017
- US Expected to Sanction Iran Because of Worsening Conditions in Yemen - December 13th, 2017
- Saudi Airstrikes Against Yemen Capital Kill 39 - December 13th, 2017
- Yemen's Pro-Saleh Faction, Houthis Make a Deal to End Dispute - December 13th, 2017