Pakistani Soldier Slain as Tensions Rise
A small gunbattle broke out across the Line of Control between Indian and Pakistani Kashmir, with one Pakistani soldier slain and both sides making broad accusations of military aggression by the other.
Pakistani officials say that Indian troops crossed the border in a raid and attacked the Sawan Patra checkpoint, with Pakistani soldiers eventually repelling the incursion. They claim to have an Indian dagger as proof of the raid.
Indian Army officials told an opposite story, saying that Pakistani troops began “unprovoked firing” into Indian Kashmir, destroyed a civilian home, and sparked return fire by Indian border troops.
Col. Pandey, an Indian Army spokesman, insisted Pakistan staged the entire gunbattle to “facilitate infiltration of militants” across the Line of Control. Both India and Pakistan have territorial claims on one another’s portions of Kashmir, and the issue of “Indian Held Kashmir” is a hugely religiously significant one in Pakistan, with most Kashmiris Muslims.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Killing Far More Civilians in Syria Than They'll Admit - August 26th, 2016
- US, Russia Fail to Reach a Deal on Syria - August 26th, 2016
- US Continues to Cut Aid to Pakistan - August 26th, 2016
- PKK Bombs Turkish Police HQ in Southeast, Killing 11 - August 26th, 2016
- As Turkey Enters Syria, US Aims to Keep Them Happy - August 26th, 2016