A small gunbattle broke out across the Line of Control between Indian and Pakistani Kashmir, with one Pakistani soldier slain and both sides making broad accusations of military aggression by the other.
Pakistani officials say that Indian troops crossed the border in a raid and attacked the Sawan Patra checkpoint, with Pakistani soldiers eventually repelling the incursion. They claim to have an Indian dagger as proof of the raid.
Indian Army officials told an opposite story, saying that Pakistani troops began “unprovoked firing” into Indian Kashmir, destroyed a civilian home, and sparked return fire by Indian border troops.
Col. Pandey, an Indian Army spokesman, insisted Pakistan staged the entire gunbattle to “facilitate infiltration of militants” across the Line of Control. Both India and Pakistan have territorial claims on one another’s portions of Kashmir, and the issue of “Indian Held Kashmir” is a hugely religiously significant one in Pakistan, with most Kashmiris Muslims.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Saudi Coalition to Open Humanitarian Corridors Out of Yemen's Hodeidah Port - September 24th, 2018
- Trump Expects Announcement of Second Summit With North Korea 'Pretty Soon' - September 24th, 2018
- US Troops Will Remain in Syria, Officials Say - September 24th, 2018
- Bolton Slams Russia, Says S-300 Sale in Syria Is 'Significant Escalation' - September 24th, 2018
- Russia Will Provide S-300 Air Defense to Syria - September 24th, 2018