With the Palestinian Authority set to pursue an upgrade in UN status to “non-member state” next week, the Senate is facing a new resolution condemning the attempt, threatening aid cuts and other “significant consequences.”
Sens. Ben Cardin (D – MD) and Susan Collins (R – ME) are the co-authors of the resolution, and are blasting the Palestinians for “unilaterally” seeking such an upgrade, and pushing for the Obama Administration to do something to stop the vote.
President Obama has been trying for awhile, unsuccessfully, with Israeli officials threatening major retaliation against Israel and PA President Mahmoud Abbas saying they will go forward with the plan.
Abbas is virtually obliged to do so, with the peace process having stalled for over a year and Palestinians growing impatient with the lack of progress. The vote is expected to pass with an overwhelming majority of nations, and a General Assembly vote cannot be vetoed by the US.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Over 170 Casualties in Afghan Election Attacks - October 20th, 2018
- Pentagon Cancels Major Aerial Wargames With South Korea - October 19th, 2018
- Saudi King Gives Trump Room to Avoid Acting Over Killing of Journalist - October 19th, 2018
- US Airstrikes Kill 32 Civilians in Eastern Syria - October 19th, 2018
- Bolton Pushes Trump to Withdraw From Russian Nuclear Treaty - October 19th, 2018