Speaking at a rally in the village of Atmeh along the border with Turkey, Free Syrian Army (FSA) Brigadier General Ahmad al-Fajj blasted the Western world, terming them “indirectly responsible” for the large number of deaths in the Syrian civil war.
“We asked all the arms dealers and traffickers in the region to sell us anti-aircraft missiles. They told us they needed the green light from the CIA and Mossad, and the light was red,” he said, adding that he believes he could conquer the whole country in a week if he had surface-to-air missiles (SAMs).
Fajj’s comments reflect an ongoing public narrative among Syrian rebels that anyone not directly giving them not just weapons, but all types of weapons they could conceivably want, is not sufficiently on-board for the ongoing civil war. His “one week” comment also reflects the boundless optimism of both sides, which continue to believe they are on the verge of a major breakthrough in the stalemated war.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Key Iraqi Shi'ite Militia Chief Wants Fighters Placed Under National Army - December 14th, 2017
- US Troops, Syrian Rebels Battle ISIS Near Key Base - December 14th, 2017
- US Will Preposition Jet Fuel in Algeria, Niger to Expand Drone Wars - December 14th, 2017
- US Warplanes Fire Warning Flares at Russian Jets Over Syria - December 14th, 2017
- Iran: US Presentation of Iranian Arms in Yemen Fabricated - December 14th, 2017