Speaking at a rally in the village of Atmeh along the border with Turkey, Free Syrian Army (FSA) Brigadier General Ahmad al-Fajj blasted the Western world, terming them “indirectly responsible” for the large number of deaths in the Syrian civil war.
“We asked all the arms dealers and traffickers in the region to sell us anti-aircraft missiles. They told us they needed the green light from the CIA and Mossad, and the light was red,” he said, adding that he believes he could conquer the whole country in a week if he had surface-to-air missiles (SAMs).
Fajj’s comments reflect an ongoing public narrative among Syrian rebels that anyone not directly giving them not just weapons, but all types of weapons they could conceivably want, is not sufficiently on-board for the ongoing civil war. His “one week” comment also reflects the boundless optimism of both sides, which continue to believe they are on the verge of a major breakthrough in the stalemated war.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Cluster Bomb Attack Against East Syrian Village Kills at Least 30 Civilians - June 28th, 2017
- Russia: Trump and Putin Probably Should Talk During Hamburg Summit - June 28th, 2017
- US Special Forces Deployed to Kurdish City on Turkish Border - June 28th, 2017
- ISIS Looks to Expand Presence in Northern Afghanistan - June 28th, 2017
- South Korea Leader Reverses Stance, Now Backs Trump Against North Korea - June 28th, 2017