No Casualties Reported in Battle
The Lebanese military has deployed reinforcements to the Arsal region, near the border with Syria, after Free Syrian Army (FSA) rebels attacked a military post near the border, sparking a brief gunbattle before fleeing into the mountains.
The statement from the Lebanese Army says that this was the “second time in under a week” that a unit from the FSA, made up chiefly of Syrian military defectors, has crossed the border into the territory.
No casualties were reported in the initial clash, and the military says that they have deployed troops into the mountainous region along the border to try to track down the fighters responsible for the attack.
As fighting in Syria’s civil war has gotten close to the borders with Lebanon and Turkey, the rebels have regularly crossed the border in an attempt to outflank the Syrian military, which could not pursue them without creating an international incident.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- At Least 30 Killed as Missiles Hit East Ukraine Port City - January 24th, 2015
- US Terror Operations in Yemen 'Paralyzed' by Rebel Takeover - January 23rd, 2015
- US Officials on Netanyahu Visit: There Will Be a Price - January 23rd, 2015
- Pentagon Advocates Drone 'Wolf Packs': A Step Toward Killer AI? - January 23rd, 2015
- Iran FM: US Sanctions Vote Would Kill Nuclear Deal - January 23rd, 2015