Officials Say Bajaur Offensive in 'Final Stages'
Pakistan’s military says that they have killed another 29 Taliban today along the border between the Bajaur Agency and the Kunar Province of Afghanistan. They claim the militants had intruded across the border into the Batwar District.
The battle was part of an ongoing offensive against the Bajaur Agency targeting a faction of the Tehreek-e Taliban Pakistan (TTP) based out of the Swat Valley, and which has set up safe havens around Kunar.
It is odd that the military talks about today’s battle as the beginning of the “final stages” of the offensive, as they declared victory in that offensive over a week ago, insisting they had cleared the TTP almost entirely from the agency.
Pakistan has been fighting the TTP in Bajaur since 2008, and has declared “victory” several times over the years, only for the faction to retreat back to Afghanistan and regroup, showing up again a few months later.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Iraq MP Urges Inquiry Into Airstrike Against Shi'ite Funeral in Daquq - October 24th, 2016
- Iran: Turkey Mustn't Violate Iraqi Sovereignty Over Mosul - October 24th, 2016
- Syrian Army Makes New Gains South of Aleppo - October 24th, 2016
- US Army Chief Talks Up War With Russia, Insists US Will Win - October 24th, 2016
- UN: All Sides to Blame for Lack of Aleppo Evacuations - October 24th, 2016