No Indication Why Pakistani Citizens Were Targeted
NATO helicopters attacked and killed two Pakistani citizens, identified as Abdul Rashid and Ghalum Farooq, who were on their way home after a visit to Afghanistan’s Safaar border district.
The border area is heavily traveled and families often live on both sides of the border, coming and going with little restriction. There was no indication as to why the two men were targeted, and NATO has yet comment on the matter.
Local Afghan security forces confirmed the attack but had no details as to why it took place. They promised an investigation into the matter. NATO didn’t even include the incident in their daily operational update.
Pakistan and NATO have been at odds over border security for years, with NATO complaining of militants operating out of Pakistan and Pakistan complaining of militants crossing from Afghanistan into Pakistan to conduct attacks.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- 10 Killed in Bombing in Pakistani Shopping District - February 23rd, 2017
- Syria Fighting Continues as UN Talks Get Under Way - February 23rd, 2017
- US Generals Seek Increased Coordination With Russia in Iraq, Syria - February 23rd, 2017
- Iraqi Forces Capture Mosul Airport, Advance Toward City - February 23rd, 2017
- Trump: Deportations Are 'A Military Operation' - February 23rd, 2017