No Indication Why Pakistani Citizens Were Targeted
NATO helicopters attacked and killed two Pakistani citizens, identified as Abdul Rashid and Ghalum Farooq, who were on their way home after a visit to Afghanistan’s Safaar border district.
The border area is heavily traveled and families often live on both sides of the border, coming and going with little restriction. There was no indication as to why the two men were targeted, and NATO has yet comment on the matter.
Local Afghan security forces confirmed the attack but had no details as to why it took place. They promised an investigation into the matter. NATO didn’t even include the incident in their daily operational update.
Pakistan and NATO have been at odds over border security for years, with NATO complaining of militants operating out of Pakistan and Pakistan complaining of militants crossing from Afghanistan into Pakistan to conduct attacks.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- ISIS Kills US Navy SEAL, Overruns Northern Iraq Town - May 3rd, 2016
- FBI Creates South Florida Sting Involving Fake Bomb - May 2nd, 2016
- 11 PKK Fighters Killed in Southeastern Turkey - May 2nd, 2016
- US Tells Pakistan They Can Have F-16s If They Pay for Them - May 2nd, 2016
- US Struggles to Square 'Non-Combat' in Afghanistan With Hospital Bombing - May 2nd, 2016