No Indication Why Pakistani Citizens Were Targeted
NATO helicopters attacked and killed two Pakistani citizens, identified as Abdul Rashid and Ghalum Farooq, who were on their way home after a visit to Afghanistan’s Safaar border district.
The border area is heavily traveled and families often live on both sides of the border, coming and going with little restriction. There was no indication as to why the two men were targeted, and NATO has yet comment on the matter.
Local Afghan security forces confirmed the attack but had no details as to why it took place. They promised an investigation into the matter. NATO didn’t even include the incident in their daily operational update.
Pakistan and NATO have been at odds over border security for years, with NATO complaining of militants operating out of Pakistan and Pakistan complaining of militants crossing from Afghanistan into Pakistan to conduct attacks.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syria Insurgents Destroy Russian Rescue Helicopter With US Missile - November 24th, 2015
- Russia Deploys Air Defenses to Syria-Turkey Border - November 24th, 2015
- NATO Envoys Urge Turkey to Show Restraint on Russian Planes - November 24th, 2015
- US Uses Banking Records to Decide What Syrian Oil Infrastructure to Attack - November 24th, 2015
- Syrian Turkmen Rebels Killed Russian Pilots Parachuting From Downed Plane - November 24th, 2015