In the first public comments from a member of the Afghan investigation team, Maulvi Khaliqdad says that the team believes the US burning of Qurans late last month was “intentional.”
Khaliqdad went on to say that it would have been plausible for the US to claim it was a “mistake” if personnel had only burned one or two copies of the Quran but that everybody involved knew about it and that there were “hundreds of such books” involved in the organized mass book burning.
Western officials say that there were a number of “unintentional mistakes” behind the burnings, and the finger of blame is being pointed squarely at the five unnamed soldiers that the military says were responsible, with promises that they could theoretically face some sort of “reprimand.”
All this points once again to the Obama Administration and NATO not taking the incident nearly so seriously as the Afghan public. From the rehearsed “apology” to NATO chief Anders Fogh Rasmussen’s praise of NATO troops for not butchering Afghan protesters, the sentiment seems to be that this will simply blow over given enough time.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Ukrainian Bishops Bow to Govt, Create Church Independent of Russia - December 16th, 2018
- FM: Turkey Will Keep Striking PKK in Northern Iraq - December 16th, 2018
- Afghan Airstrikes Kill 20 Civilians, Mostly Children, in Eastern Raid - December 16th, 2018
- Fighting Rages Around Yemen's Hodeidah; Ceasefire Pushed Back to Tuesday - December 16th, 2018
- Saudi Arabia Condemns US Senate for 'Interference' - December 16th, 2018