Hundreds of protesters took to the streets of the Chawki district of Afghanistan’s Kunar province today, chanting anti-US and anti-NATO slogans in the wake of a night raid which officials now say killed six civilians.
The raid occurred on Monday night as NATO pursued fighters in the district. An attack helicopter opened fire on a civilian home, killing everyone inside, including two children.
Kunar Governor Sayed Fazelullah Wahidi reiterated that his office played no role in the raid, adding today that no coordination whatsoever was done with provincial officials.
NATO has confirmed launching the operation but says it is still investigating the reports of civilian deaths. They provided no additional details nor did they indicate to which nation the attack helicopter belonged.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Russia Will Provide S-300s to Syria to Defend Entire Airspace - September 25th, 2018
- Pompeo Slams EU Plan to Circumvent US Sanctions on Iran - September 25th, 2018
- US General: Removing Troops From Korea a Major Tactical Risk - September 25th, 2018
- South Korean President: Kim Is Serious About Giving Up Nuclear Bombs - September 25th, 2018
- US Adjusting Tactics as Afghanistan Casualties Rise - September 25th, 2018