Hundreds of protesters took to the streets of the Chawki district of Afghanistan’s Kunar province today, chanting anti-US and anti-NATO slogans in the wake of a night raid which officials now say killed six civilians.
The raid occurred on Monday night as NATO pursued fighters in the district. An attack helicopter opened fire on a civilian home, killing everyone inside, including two children.
Kunar Governor Sayed Fazelullah Wahidi reiterated that his office played no role in the raid, adding today that no coordination whatsoever was done with provincial officials.
NATO has confirmed launching the operation but says it is still investigating the reports of civilian deaths. They provided no additional details nor did they indicate to which nation the attack helicopter belonged.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Most of the Missing Nigerian Girls Found After Boko Haram Attack - February 21st, 2018
- Iraqi Ambassador Slams Turkish 'Invaders' on Iraqi Soil - February 21st, 2018
- Trump Plan Seeks Major Boost to Already Record Arms Sales - February 21st, 2018
- Syria Sends More Fighters to Afrin in High-Stakes Standoff With Turkey - February 21st, 2018
- Saudi Airstrike Kills 15 Civilians in Northern Yemen - February 21st, 2018