The massive and largely unchecked system of military contracting in Afghanistan has received considerable negative press over revelations that large sums of money simply go missing, and evidence that the Taliban is receiving considerable funding in the form of bribes from contractors.
The US military thinks it has finally found a solution to all of this money being thrown unaccountably to contractors – it is awarding another $1 billion to those same contractors to create a system that will “allow more transparency” in where all that money is going.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US-Led Airstrikes Killed 472 Civilians in Syria in the Past Month - June 23rd, 2017
- US Narrows Counter-Extremism Program to Focus on Islamists - June 23rd, 2017
- Senator: US Strikes on Syrian Forces 'Unlawful' - June 23rd, 2017
- Kurds Warn Turkey's Buildup in North Syria Threatens Raqqa Invasion - June 23rd, 2017
- Senators Seek Clarification on US Role in Yemen Torture - June 23rd, 2017