US officials are claiming an escalation in monitoring of foreign nationals by the Pakistani government, including the restriction of movement inside the country. This has included barring US embassy officials from the city of Peshawar.
Officials have concluded that this is a backlash against the US primarily over Obama Administration policy, but aid organizations are reporting that travel difficulties are affecting their operations too.
As well they might, as the US used the guise of a “vaccination” program in their assassination of Osama bin Laden, and has used consulate employee status as cover for CIA operations, including the infamous incident surrounding Raymond Davis.
This has added suspicion of legitimate consulate employees, of course, but the fake vaccination program has also added to the general distrust of foreigners, even those engaged in humanitarian operations. Efforts to vaccinate in the country could be set back for years by the plot.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- White House Corrects Tillerson, Rejects North Korea Talks - December 13th, 2017
- White House Accuses Abbas of 'Preventing Peace' With Criticism - December 13th, 2017
- US Expected to Sanction Iran Because of Worsening Conditions in Yemen - December 13th, 2017
- Saudi Airstrikes Against Yemen Capital Kill 39 - December 13th, 2017
- Yemen's Pro-Saleh Faction, Houthis Make a Deal to End Dispute - December 13th, 2017