US officials are claiming an escalation in monitoring of foreign nationals by the Pakistani government, including the restriction of movement inside the country. This has included barring US embassy officials from the city of Peshawar.
Officials have concluded that this is a backlash against the US primarily over Obama Administration policy, but aid organizations are reporting that travel difficulties are affecting their operations too.
As well they might, as the US used the guise of a “vaccination” program in their assassination of Osama bin Laden, and has used consulate employee status as cover for CIA operations, including the infamous incident surrounding Raymond Davis.
This has added suspicion of legitimate consulate employees, of course, but the fake vaccination program has also added to the general distrust of foreigners, even those engaged in humanitarian operations. Efforts to vaccinate in the country could be set back for years by the plot.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Airstrike in Northern Syria Kills 20 Civilians, Mostly Children - March 21st, 2018
- Britain, Russia Continue to Trade Accusations Over Salisbury Poisoning - March 21st, 2018
- US, North Korea, and South Korea Hold Constructive Talks in Finland - March 21st, 2018
- Israel Publicly Admits 2007 Attack on Syria 'Nuclear Reactor' - March 21st, 2018
- Trump Pushes Europe on Iran Deal, But May Kill Deal Either Way - March 21st, 2018