US officials are claiming an escalation in monitoring of foreign nationals by the Pakistani government, including the restriction of movement inside the country. This has included barring US embassy officials from the city of Peshawar.
Officials have concluded that this is a backlash against the US primarily over Obama Administration policy, but aid organizations are reporting that travel difficulties are affecting their operations too.
As well they might, as the US used the guise of a “vaccination” program in their assassination of Osama bin Laden, and has used consulate employee status as cover for CIA operations, including the infamous incident surrounding Raymond Davis.
This has added suspicion of legitimate consulate employees, of course, but the fake vaccination program has also added to the general distrust of foreigners, even those engaged in humanitarian operations. Efforts to vaccinate in the country could be set back for years by the plot.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israel-Hamas Ceasefire Talks Halt Amid PA Threats - September 23rd, 2018
- China Cancels US Military Talks to Protest Sanctions - September 23rd, 2018
- US Airstrike Kills 18 in Southern Somalia - September 23rd, 2018
- Syrian Observatory: US-Led Coalition Killed 3,300 Civilians in Four Years - September 23rd, 2018
- Jihadist Group Rejects Turkey-Russia Deal on Syria's Idlib - September 23rd, 2018