Insists US 'Well Aware' But Has No Proof
Speaking today at a press conference in Irbil, US State Department official Thomas Nides reiterated claims by the Obama Administration that Iran is secretly arming Shi’ite militias, saying “the US is well aware of Tehran’s financial assistance with US foes.”
Incredibly, however, when pressed on the matter by a journalist from Iran’s Fars News Agency (FNA), Nides conceded that the US has absolutely no evidence or proof with which to back up these allegations.
“There is no proof since it is just intelligence,” Nides conceded, adding that no documentation could be produced and any information they theoretically have to back up the allegations was classified.
The allegations have been repeated by Admiral Michael Mullen and Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta in recent days, with Panetta threatening non-specific measures against Iran in retaliation. Iranian officials have denied the allegations.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israel Calls Up 16,000 More Reservists: 86,000 Since Start of War - July 30th, 2014
- Israeli Cabinet Vows to Intensify Gaza War: Over 1,400 Killed - July 30th, 2014
- Shi'ite Militias Execute 15 Sunnis North of Baghdad - July 30th, 2014
- 75 Bodies, Mostly Libyan Soldiers, Found After Benghazi Firefight - July 30th, 2014
- US Senators Push for Lethal Military Aid to Ukraine - July 30th, 2014