The death toll from a Tuesday hostage-taking and siege in Tikrit continued to rise into Thursday, and now stands at 65 dead and over 100 wounded, making it amongst the most high profile incidents in the past year.
The incident has spawned a new round of soul-searching from security analysts in Iraq, who wondered how, after so many escalations of security measures in the past, the attackers were able to easily launch such an attack.
Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki, as he is wont to do, pledged revenge for the attack. Maliki says that an investigation committee would track down the “terrorist murderers” behind the strike and ensure their punishment.
Incredibly, however, despite the massive death toll none of the major militant factions in Iraq have claimed credit for the strike. Officials have said they assume al-Qaeda in Iraq (AQI) is responsible, but there is no evidence for this so far.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Foreign ISIS Fighters Left in Raqqa Face 'Certain Death' - October 22nd, 2017
- US-Made Vehicles Led Iraqi Invasion of Kurdish Town - October 22nd, 2017
- Niger Ambush Serves as Excuse for AFRICOM to Seek More Funds - October 22nd, 2017
- Catalan Leaders Vow to Resist Spain's Attempted Takeover - October 22nd, 2017
- Spain Seeks Huge Power Transfer in Trying to Oust Catalan Leadership - October 22nd, 2017