The Operation Payback attacks by the “Anonymous” organization knocked Visa and Mastercard’s websites down last week, but the group has now moved on to a new, less obvious target: fax machines.
In a move they are calling “Mission: Leakflood,” the group is now calling on its supporters to fax random State Department cables and images of Guy Fawkes to the same organizations whose moves against WikiLeaks have made them a target.
The group’s list singled out Amazon.com’s legal department, MasterCard and Visa’s corporate HQs and CEOs, and Paypal, all of whom have severed ties with WikiLeaks in recent days in the face of US government opposition.
The group’s attacks seem to be having some effect, as the organization claimed a few hours after it began the organization announced a number of the targeted fax numbers are no longer responsive.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Yemeni al-Qaeda Denies Secret Deal With UAE - August 17th, 2018
- Afghan President Visits Ghazni to Declare Victory, but Fighting Is Ongoing - August 17th, 2018
- Bomb That Killed Scores of Children in Yemen Was US Supplied - August 17th, 2018
- US Redirects Syria Funds, Emphasizes It Is Not Withdrawing - August 17th, 2018
- Officials Worry Trump May Back Erik Prince Plan to 'Privatize' Afghan War - August 17th, 2018