The Obama Administration is said to have convinced Rep. Howard Berman (D – CA) to drop a block on all military aid to Lebanon following the completion of an extensive review of the aid already provided to the nation’s military.
Berman, who is the head of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, blocked the $100 million in planned aid in retaliation for a border clash between Israel and Lebanon and a number of other Congressional officials were demanding Lebanon promise that its military would not use any US-provided arms against Israeli troops, should Israel follow through on repeated threats to invade Lebanon.
Pressure to restore the aid has been on for awhile, following suggestions that the Iranian government might replace the aid, giving them closer ties to the Lebanese government.
The Obama Administration has argued that arming the Lebanese military is “in the interest of America’s national security,” which seems to be a euphemism for ensuring that the US retains its own influence within Lebanon.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- ISIS Attacks Afghan Taliban Commander's House, Killing 15 - July 17th, 2018
- Trump: No Time Limit for Denuclearization of North Korea - July 17th, 2018
- Afghan Govt Rejects Idea of US-Taliban Peace Talks - July 17th, 2018
- Israeli Army Told to Prepare for Large-Scale Invasion of Gaza - July 17th, 2018
- Lawmakers, Media Look to Undermine US-Russia Detente - July 17th, 2018