Nabil Shaath, top negotiator for the Palestinian Authority, today ruled out complying with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s demand that the PA recognize Israel as an eternal “Jewish state.”
Israel has long declared itself a Jewish State, but its ability to maintain this as well as a claim to being a democratic nation are often seen to be at odds, particularly with a growing non-Jewish minority population that is struggling to find a political voice. It has also brought various forms of Judaism into clash over how the state should be run.
The peace talks are aimed at the creation of a Palestinian state, and Prime Minister Netanyahu insists this state must accept a number of conditions, including giving Israel virtual control over its entire borders, agreeing to have no military of its own, formally rejecting the “right of return” and accepting Israel as an eternally Jewish state.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Al-Shabaab Ambushes Ethiopian Troops in Somalia - January 21st, 2019
- US and North Korea Wrap Up 'Intensive' Denuclearization Talks - January 21st, 2019
- Israel Destroyed Eight Syrian Air Defense Targets, Killed 11 Troops - January 21st, 2019
- US Troops Targeted in Second Northeast Syria Bombing - January 21st, 2019
- Israeli Election Ad Brags on Bombing Gaza Back to the Stone Age - January 21st, 2019