Nabil Shaath, top negotiator for the Palestinian Authority, today ruled out complying with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s demand that the PA recognize Israel as an eternal “Jewish state.”
Israel has long declared itself a Jewish State, but its ability to maintain this as well as a claim to being a democratic nation are often seen to be at odds, particularly with a growing non-Jewish minority population that is struggling to find a political voice. It has also brought various forms of Judaism into clash over how the state should be run.
The peace talks are aimed at the creation of a Palestinian state, and Prime Minister Netanyahu insists this state must accept a number of conditions, including giving Israel virtual control over its entire borders, agreeing to have no military of its own, formally rejecting the “right of return” and accepting Israel as an eternally Jewish state.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- General: Pentagon to Soon Begin Drawdown of US Troops From Border - November 19th, 2018
- Trump, Pakistan PM Engage in War of Words on Twitter - November 19th, 2018
- Taliban: No Deadline for Ending Afghan War Reached in Meetings - November 19th, 2018
- Saudi FM Dismisses CIA Assessment of Khashoggi Killing - November 19th, 2018
- Pentagon Denies Killing Civilians in Eastern Syrian Airstrikes - November 19th, 2018